Saturday, April 5, 2008

Like Mother and Father, Like Son

Connor made a list this morning of things he had to do and then checked them off as he did them. (Matt and I have a million different lists going; things to do, house projects, groceries needed, wish lists, songs to put on a CD, etc...) Here is Connor's list: 1. Mow mommy's lawn (Jacob got a bubble blowing mower for his birthday from Nana and Connor was pretending that the carpet in the house was grass), 2. Clean the beds, 3. Feed the cats with daddy, 4. Go to swimming lessons, 5. Go to Hailey's birthday party. He wrote it all by himself and was able to check them all off. Isn't he a little young to be making lists?

Matt, Connor, Jacob, and I went to Horton Hears a Who Friday night. Connor and I have been reading the pop up book we have of it for awhile now and he was so excited to go. This was Jacob's first movie at the theatre. We went to the 5:00 showing thinking it wouldn't be so busy.
He made it through about 3/4's of the movie and then had enough. He walked up and down the aisle, went up and down the same two steps, played with my keychain flashlight, and finished off the bag of popcorn. All in all it was a pretty successful first trip to the movie theatre. Connor's first movie was Curious George. I was pregnant with Jacob at the time.

The boys started swimming lessons this week. I need to give you a little background. When Connor took them last year at the AmericInn, the water was pretty cold. He was not excited about it and we had to bribe him a lot. It was hard for him to stay in the pool the whole half an hour, even with Matt in there holding him, telling him good job, almost done, almost done, almost done. He always looked purple and like he was in misery. Jacob on the other hand loves water, splashes in the tub, and was a maniac at the water park awhile back (in a previous blog). Jacob's lesson was Thursday night and we were thinking there would be no problem, piece of cake, he would have a blast. How wrong we were! Jacob wouldn't even sit down on the edge with Matt and get his legs wet. He cried and cried and walked away. When the kids and parents got into the pool, he wanted nothing to do with it. Matt even tried to just carry him in the pool with no choice, and he screamed. Out of the half an hour lesson, Jacob was in the pool for about 20 seconds. We were so surprised. We'll let you know how next Thursday goes. Connor's was this morning and he was in the pool without a parent for the first time. We were a little nervous and I couldn't wait to see how it went. I was definitely expecting a few small tears, shaking, and not wanting to do it. How wrong I was again! He did awesome! I was so proud of him. He got right into the pool with no hesitation what so ever, went under the water (we can hardly get him to do that in the bathtub) everytime his teacher asked him to, jumped into the pool and swam to the edge- twice!, actually looked like he was enjoying himself, and even gave me the thumbs up about 15 times (It was cute -he must have known I was nervous for him and needed reassurance that he was ok). On our way back to the van, he actually told me that I was "so wrong", about him being a little scared. I'm not writing this because I think he's a super swimmer because many of your kids love the water and have been jumping in since they were 1 and crawling. I'm writing it because just when you think you know your kids, they pull something like this on you! We were wrong with both of them!

No comments: