Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cross Country? What?

 

There was a youth all city cross country meet today before the high school meet and Connor said he wanted to do it.  I was a little surprised because 1.)  It was running and he hasn’t really ran much (a couple times running home from baseball games) and 2.)  He didn’t know anyone else doing it and he gets a little nervous and anxious in these instances.  However, I was all for it because he was so determined.

Of course it had to get off to a bad start.  Afterschool he went to go change in the van and locked the keys in the car.  Matt was in a meeting and he had the extra set.  Connor was all upset and I got a little crazy as well because I really wanted to make this happen and possible for him but our luck was looking slim.  My teaching partner came through and she took Connor to the race to get signed up and warmed up. I got a hold of my dad and he drove myself and Jacob and Nolan to where Matt’s meeting was.  I had texted him to let him know I was coming and needed the key to my van.  Fortunately he got the text and was waiting for us.  The race was going to start soon, so my dad just drove us there and we watched him run.  Connor ended up meeting up with a friend which was nice. 

The gun went off and he got a good lead.  It was for kids grades 3-6, so I didn’t know what to really expect.  I saw the first few runners coming and thought I maybe saw Connor, but didn’t really expect him to be up that far.  I took another look and sure enough it was him.  He was about the 8th runner over all and got 6th in his grade (very athletic grade – it should be fun in years to come).  He even kicked it into high gear a little before the finish line. 

It was really exciting and I was a very proud mama.  He was pretty proud of himself as well. 

Thankfully, my dad brought us back to school for our van and the rest of the night went smoothly. 

I’ll be honest, I’m not the biggest cross country fan, but would be one in a heart beat if it is what he chose.  However, I might try to put a few good words in for football (or even soccer!) and thankfully he likes both of those as well.  Matt was a very good cross country runner in high school, so maybe he’ll take after his dad.

101_4420_9892 101_4421_9893 

101_4423_9895 101_4424_9896

101_4427_9899

No comments: