Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hallo from Germany!

No, it is not a mispelling, it's how you say hello in german.
Before I left Tuesday, the boys and I were able to spend a little time together and we had "I love you" scrambled eggs (in the shape of hearts if you can't tell).

Well, after a long detour I finally made it here to Munich..............and met up with Matt. I arrived 5 hours later than I was supposed to. What an interesting journey. To start with, I feel really stupid but didn't really think anything of the fact that my passport still has my maiden name on it. When I went to check in at Mpls. the lady gave me a really hard time about it and didn't know if I was going to be able to take the trip. It ended up being fine as long as I had all of this verification, but she flagged me as high risk security (she was not my favorite person) so every time I had to go through security they had to look through everything by hand and pat me down. Ugh! Note to self, make sure passport is completely updated next time. The flight to Amsterdam was fine, long (8+hours), but fine. I enjoyed a couple of movies and some wine. From Amtsterdam, where my flight was late to start with, I had to get on this little plane where I had be outside on the runway and walk up one of those stairways on wheels to get on the plane. The flight went fine, however we couldn't land in Munich because of zero visability, so we had to land in Stuttgart. This was pretty cool because it's the city where my dad was stationed when he was in the service. From there they provided a bus to take us to Munich, a 2 -1/2 hour ride. Like I said, what a long journey, however I was able to meet and visit with some interesting people from Amsterdam, Germany, London, and India and I got to see more of Germany than I had planned on! Always try to see the positive right?! Gratitude! ;)

Needless to say I am exhausted. We went to the Hofbrauhaus (big brewery) and had some delicious german food and beer and then walked around a little. We walked to Marienplatz (the the town center and the City Town Hall). I love all of the little streets with tall buildings and shops. I am so excited to be here, and so fortunate I could take this trip.
We got back to the hotel, slept for a little while and then woke up to call the boys at grandma and grandpa's. It was good to see them and hear their voice. We are so fortunate that it worked out for my parents to watch them, Mattey to take Connor to preschool, and Natey to help out this weekend with swimming lessons and giving mom and dad a break.

I can't wait to go back and see this City Town Hall in daylight. The green area is the Glokenspiel and the figurines dance and move to music at certain times of the day.
I decided to do these last two pictures in Sepia and Black and White because they are a little blurry. We had to ask like three different people to try to take our pictures (they didn't understand english and I couldn't get them to understand the focus part of my camera. Oh well).

I obviously won't be updating this every day (if at all while we're here I just couldn't sleep at the moment - the whole time change thing), but will have a ton of stories and pictures to share when I get back. Mom is doing a great job keeping up with taking pictures and jotting down stories and comments for me.

Crazy, when I try to log onto this site everything is in German. Good thing I know the site well enough because I only know a few words.

Auf Wiedersehen (good bye) for now!

No comments: