Thursday, July 10, 2008

Deep thoughts and conversation

Connor's swimming lessons are going terrific! He's in them with a good friend from preschool. Again, the only reason I'm mentioning it is because he used to be so timid and not interested in water. He's floating, going under water for long periods, and just having a blast. He tells me how much he loves it all of the time. I keep telling him how proud I am of him and that it's so awesome to see. Today on the way to the car he says to me with a big smile on his face, "Mommy, why do you keep telling me that, quit saying that too me. You already told me that and don't need to say it again!" ;) I think it was one of those "my mom is embarrassing me" moments - already.

On the way home from lessons he asked me if daddy was going to be dead when he was a daddy. Not sure what made him think of that, but we had the conversation about how both Matt and my father's are still alive and how we never really know when someone dies, but that daddy should hopefully still be alive.

Matt got pulled over tonight for not completely stopping at a stop sign (with all three boys in the car)....and I think having them in the car, windows rolled down, and properly buckled up (because the officer made reference to it being good to see everyone was bucked up) helped him get away with only a warning! As the officer took Matt's license to his car, Matt talked to Connor about it and said something about "daddy being naughty, doing something wrong, etc...". Jacob says to him, "Dadda naughty!".

I actually got pulled over a few months ago for not completely stopping at a stop sign also, but the kids weren't with me! ;) They claimed that I was on tape, and I asked to see it because I wasn't even aware that I did it - I think asking to see the tape is what maybe only got me a warning also. Makes you think about your driving.

I came home from softball tonight and lights are on, but no one is in the living room. I hear voices coming from Connor and Jacob's room and find Matt and Connor lying in Connor's bed talking. I asked what they were talking about and Connor just smiles at me and says "nice things". When we got out of the room, Matt told me that they were talking about everything. The brief version: It all started with Connor telling Matt that he felt like snuggles again tonight. (I have to give it to Connor, that's a smooth move and almost always works). They got to talking about Matt working a lot. (Connor has been asking and talking about it lately with me) Matt talked about how he knows he has to work a lot sometimes, and he likes his job but always misses the boys. Connor asked what he did.....they talked a lot about that and then Matt said that if it stays the same for awhile he would maybe look for a different job, which led to talking about the difference between being fired and quitting, they talked about money and how it's nice and we're able to have and do a lot because of what mommy and daddy make, but it's not the most important thing. It's more important how you treat people, family, health, and what you give. Connor said if his pickle jar was full and his buddies didn't have any money he would give it all to them (as Matt's thinking to himself...well not all of it! ) Connor asked what your health is and they talked about being healthy, different body types, foods....Connor told Matt he thought we should have a rule that we can only eat one unhealthy thing a day. He asked if McDonald's was healthy. Matt told him it's OK to eat unhealthy food, especially at his age and because he is so skinny, as long as he eats enough healthy food also. They talked about their favorite movies and how they should go to Kung Fu Panda and Connor thinks that Jacob should be ok watching it because it's not too scary or sad. They also talked about having a sleepover with Connor's buddies, and Connor wanted to know if he could have his buddy over right now.
Oofta! That was some pretty deep stuff - more serious conversation than I've had in awhile. ;)

No comments: