We watched the movie We Bought a Zoo the other night, and for the next couple of days and evenings Nolan was obsessed about us having a zoo and how cool it would be. We have some pretty funny conversations.
Nolan’s teacher Mrs. L. came into my room one day after school, and shame on me, but my first reaction is always “oh oh”. She was smiling and told me that Nolan is just hilarious and so much fun to have in class. It made my day and I told her I was so so happy and appreciated that she could see that in him. He is. He is so much fun and has this infectious smile and laugh…when he is happy and making good choices the kid is hilarious and full of life. It’s so great and a relief that he is doing well in school. Thank you Mrs. L. for recognizing that quality in him.
One afternoon at school during my prep Nolan came strolling by and peeked in my room with this huge smile and big wave. I stopped him and gave him a big hug and said, “Whatcha up to?”. He told me he was getting a drink. Ha. He was on the opposite end of the building on a completely different floor. I’m not sure if he was just exploring or if he made the jaunt because he wanted to come see me. I took his hand and we had a nice little talk while we strolled back down to his hallway. We talked about how I absolutely LOVE being able to see him, but it’s probably a good idea to get a drink from the drinking fountain right outside of his classroom. ;)
One more Nolan story for you. Matt had to work late one night and it had been a long day, so the boys and I went out to eat. The last thing I wanted to do was make dinner. Nolan was so excited about half a walnut and rock that he found at daycare. I suggested to him that he keep them in the van while we went in to eat so they didn’t get lost. He was determined that he needed to bring them in. We had a great dinner, the boys were good, and our bellies were full. We got out to the van and Nolan quickly remembers that he left his walnut and rock on the table. He and Connor headed back in to look for them. Not much time went by and they were back out and Nolan opened the van door and burst into tears. He said our table was already cleared. I started by telling him of course that I told him he should have kept them in the van and I could not understand what the big deal was. I asked him why the items were so special to him. He told me because the walnut had a heart in it and he wanted to give it to me. Ahhhh….. I couldn’t just leave now. I parked the car and made my way back into the restaurant. I asked our waitress if she happened to see a walnut and rock at our table when she was cleaning up. She said yes, but that everything was already in the bin. This nice waiter came over to help and happened to take a peek in the bin, and there on one of our plates was the walnut. It wasn’t in a gross mess or anything. They looked at me kind of funny for making such a big deal about a walnut, but then I showed them the heart and they all thought it was pretty cute. I brought it out to Nolan and his face automatically beamed. He said, “I want you to keep it mommy because you can always remember that I love you.” How do you not melt to that?! It was very sweet and I will keep the walnut in a very special place and look at it often to keep my cool with this kid and remember the good in times of near blow up! ;)
1 comment:
Okay, it's been a long week. I haven't slept much in days, and I am feeling crappy....and now I am crying! That is the sweetest story ever and HURRAH that Nolan's teacher recognizes his beauty!
Post a Comment