We took Jacob and Connor school shopping Monday night (thanks mom and dad for offering to watch Nolan and Lucas to make it a little more special for the “school” boys). Connor is going to be in First grade and Jacob is going to be in Preschool. There is something about First grade that just seems SO old and the fact that Jacob is going to school already, he grew up so fast…..
We went to a couple of clothing stores, out to eat, and then to get supplies. We didn’t travel too far because of time, but tried to make a fun night out of it. Matt and I just laughed at the boys trying on clothes in the dressing room. They thought that was fun. Jacob thought he was pretty cool trying on shirts and checking himself out in the mirror. I think he actually said, “I look really cool in this” at one time. They picked out most of the stuff, with some help from us. However, they both picked out the shirt they want to wear for the first day on their own.
Connor said, “Mom, let me take a picture with you in it. You always take the pictures.”
It was entertaining watching them pick out their supplies too. There were some very tough decisions to make. ;) Connor had his list in hand and a pen to check off the things he put in the cart. He went with a green theme. He is an easy kid to please.
It was a lot of fun and something I hope we keep doing the way we did, every year. Nolan will join us next year because he will be in Preschool then. It was nice to give Jacob a little more attention. Matt and I have been talking about how he kind of got the shaft a little bit….he’s one of the “middle” boys, and he didn’t get much time to be the baby or the focus, because Nolan was born 13 months later. Does anyone else find it hard to give that undivided attention to each child? We have talked about trying to focus on that more. Even talked about spending more one and one time with them.
However, we do have so much fun when we are all together, and they do really do a great job with it. I feel it will be a great quality to take with them as they grow up….having to share things, and people with others.
Matt had all the boys in the bath one night while I was out and about.
These pictures remind me of a story that I wanted to jot down so I remember it someday. Don’t read any further if it offends you because it has to do with Nolan’s “boy” parts.
He was in the bath one night and was playing with his “boy” parts, especially the two parts underneath. He looks at me and says, “Mom, what are these?”. I just tried to make it no big deal and told him they were just a part of his “boy” part (yes, we do use the real term, but didn’t want to write it on here, not sure if it’s appropriate!). “Oh”, he said. There was a little bit of a pause as he was playing with them and squeezing them…..and then, “Oh……I know what they are……they’re like those things that squirrels and chipmunks put in their cheeks”
“Um….Acorns? (as he nods and says yeah!). Um….yeah, I guess they kind of feel like that don’t they. But they’re not……let’s get the shampoo out of your hair.”, I told him, trying to move on. :)
1 comment:
What a great idea! I love that you take "normal" things and make such neat memories out of them. I bet the boys loved it.
Post a Comment