Last time I wrote about Germany was the Sunday night before Matt and I were about to take the train to Fussen to go see the Neushwanstein and Hohenschangua castles. I just didn't have time to download the pictures until now.
We left Monday morning and took the 2 plus hour train ride to Fussen. As we got closer to Fussen it was beautiful being able to see the mountains. The castles are in the Alps right on the Germany -Austria border. In Fussen we had to take a short bus ride to Schwangua. Once there we really had no idea what to expect or what to do. We followed the "tickets" signs and bought tickets to see both castles. We didn't realize we had to walk to both of them. To the first one, Hohenschangua, it was only about a 5 minute walk. This was the castle that was actually lived in, and we did the tour. The map said it was about a 40 minute walk to Neushwanstein, but it only took us about 30 minutes. Again, we didn't know what to expect when we got there (due to the lack of planning or I guess I'd rather call it spontaneity!). My shoes, socks, feet, and pants were soaking wet and filthy from the snow melting. I didn't really care because the view and sights around me were so breathtaking, plus the company was so enjoyable! ;) The walk was up this hilly, windy road where the trees were tipped with snow. Seriously, it was beautiful, the pictures don't do it justice. Matt loved the snow falling from the trees. We made it to the castle with a lot of time before our tour, so we walked back down the road a little ways and stopped in a little cafe to have some gluhweine and pretzels. This castle was started, but never finished or lived in because of a death and debt. Interesting. After the castles we headed back to town and did some shopping and found a cute little pub off a side street and had another great meal and good beer. We took the train ride home in the dark after a very enjoyable and long day. It was a great way to end the trip and we were ready to head home to see the boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment