Sunday, May 18, 2008

I'm so cool in these Sketchers

I had to share this because of my last entry on the boys sleeping in our bed. Friday night we had the Creeker Celebration (end of the year celebration) at school and I was in the dunk tank. Connor got the biggest kick out of it and actually got to push the target to dunk me. Jacob on the other hand was not a big fan of his mom sitting on that platform falling into the water. He would not stop crying and reaching for me. It was too cute. Nolan just hung out in the stroller taking everything in. After the Creeker Celebration Connor and I went to the Huskies Varsity baseball game for a little while. When we got home, Connor took a quick bath and we did our nightly routine. I was cleaning up the kitchen and out comes Connor with this shy little look on his face and he says "Mommy, you know how you told me that I can sleep in your guys' bed sometimes on special nights. Well, can tonight be a special night because you were in the dunk tank?" (and he gets all shy and covers his face).

What am I supposed to say to that?

"Sure you can." He gets all giddy and jumps up next to Matt on the couch to watch some ESPN for a quick while. When we got into bed, I turned on the cartoons for a little while for him while I read some of my book.

"Mommy, I'm going to go get my bear and my rhino!"

"How about just one of them, Connor, ok?" He comes back a few seconds later and stands at the foot of our bed.

"Mommy, I can't decide which one to sleep with...(again in this shy, trying to be innocent voice) you know, rhinos live in water and bears swim in the water, and this is a special night because you were in the dunk tank water - it's a tough decision." Did he seriously just say all of that to me. I didn't even want to argue with that...so I said to him -

"Get in bed....with both rhino and bear!"

Again, he gives another hearty giggle that I will never get tired of hearing!


Saturday morning we went to go buy some new shoes for Connor. His toes are bursting out of the ones he has. Man, was that an experience. I can normally stay pretty calm through screaming boys, boys that aren't listening to me, crying boys, etc....however Jacob decided to be crazy man and run all around the store. Luckily we were at Famous Footwear because I had coupon to use up, so it wasn't that big of a place. My patience was wearing very thin though. We're looking at the boys shoes and Connor says "Aw, dude- look at these Sketchers Mommy!"

"What? What do you know about Sketchers?"

"I can read the word and some kids at school and Ethan at Mary's have them."

"Oh, really?"

"They even have blue ones, my favorite color. Can I get these?"

We tried them on, they fit great, and my coupon helped get them at a good price. I realized though that I totally gave into the pressure of my kid. Those of you that know me, know that I shop at Kohl's, Wal-Mart, Target...and I love garage sale deals. We don't own too many name brand things at our house. To hear Connor talk like that about a brand of shoes, was unbelievable. He was so excited to show his Sketchers to everyone. It wasn't "See my new shoes", it was "See my new Sketchers!". He even said to me "I'm so cool and fast in these new Sketchers." Got me thinking about the whole peer impression thing and how I already have to be on my toes and start working on that... more than we do already I guess.

One more quick Connor story from the weekend. He turns 5 on September 9th, eight days short of the Kindergarten age, so he will go to preschool again next year, four days a week. Connor told me that Ms. Jane has been telling them that there were only 9 days (or something like that) until everyone else but three of them are going to be in Kindergarten. He told me that Hilary, Thomas, and him are the only ones not going to Kindergarten next year, everyone else was old enough. We got to talking and it came out finally that he thought Ms. Jane meant that next year it was going to only be the three of them in his class! HA! Too funny. We talked about how the three of them will be in a class with a bunch of NEW students their age. He thought that was much cooler. He was a little concerned about being in a class with only two other friends.

Our washing machine has been on the outs for two weeks now. Twice I've had to bring our clothes (2 big baskets full each time) to my mom and dad's to wash. I can't believe how much laundry we already have from a week. It will be nuts in a couple of years. We're having a guy come and look at our washer tomorrow. Thank goodness! It's amazing how you take for granted all of those luxuries...I cannot imagine being without a washing machine for too long! Sad isn't it?!
Papa John and Yaya came to visit today. We had a great day playing outside and grilling out. Thanks for the great new books!

Jacob is getting so funny with saying things are "mine". He uses it a little too much! ;) Everything is "mine"!!! Yet, he is the best sharer when it comes to Nolan and Connor.

Sorry I babbled so much, have a great week everyone!

No comments: